Main Function of Office
The Office of the Town Attorney advises and represents the Town of Lancaster, the Town Board, and all Town Departments with respect to the legal affairs of the Town. Duties and services provided to the Town Supervisor, members of the Town Board and all Town Departments include, but are not limited to:
- Representation of the Supervisor, Town Board, elected officials, and Town Departments with respect to the prosecution and/or defense of all actions and proceedings brought by or against the Town;
- Conducting legal research on behalf of the Town Supervisor, Town Board, and Department Heads and providing opinions to the Board;
- Drafting proposed legislation, local laws, ordinances, regulations, and policies for the Town, and review of legislative proposals submitted by outside agencies, individuals, and special interest groups which may impact the Town;
- Preparation and review of agreements, leases, and easements affecting Town-owned real property;
- Preparation and review of all contracts between Town departments and vendors;
- Investigation of all claims against the Town and coordination of defense of claims with outside counsel;
- Counsel to the Zoning Board of Appeals and Planning Board;
- Preparation of resolutions on various matters for Town Board meetings;
- Attendance at Town Board meetings and Work Sessions;
- Preparation of Out-of-District Water Authority Permits/Agreements.
The Town Prosecutors prosecute Town ordinance and local law violations, as well as Vehicle and Traffic and Penal Law violations (not including misdemeanors and felonies, which are handled by the Erie County District Attorney’s Office).
IN ACCORDANCE WITH NEW YORK STATE LAW, THE TOWN ATTORNEY’S OFFICE IS UNABLE TO GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR OPINIONS TO PRIVATE INDIVIDUALS.
TO RESOLVE PRIVATE ISSUES AND CONFLICTS, ONE MUST SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PRIVATE ATTORNEY.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. If I have a scheduled Court appearance in the Town of Lancaster should information be submitted to the Town Attorney's Office?
No, the Town Attorney's office does not have access to Town Court proceedings. All documents, lawyer correspondences and questions should be directed to the Town of Lancaster Courts, 525 Pavement Road, Lancaster, NY 14086; (716) 683-1814
2. I am considering submitting an offer for a public works project with the Town of Lancaster. If I am awarded the job what information is required?
Any entity submitting proposals to the Town of Lancaster for a public works project must be able to provide the following information:
a) Proof of New York State Workers' Compensation Coverage and New York State Disability Coverage per New York States' "Prove It to Move It" program.
b) Adequate liability coverage to be determined on an individual basis depending on project objectives. Town of Lancaster will be listed as an additional insured on a primary and non-contributory basis as required by written contract or agreement.
c) A written contract/agreement/proposal/quote/estimate signed and dated by the contractor and indemnify the Town of Lancaster by stating that the Town is listed as an additional insured for all ongoing and completed operations.
Lancaster Justice Court
Legal Aid of Buffalo, Inc.
Erie County Bar Association Lawyer Referral & Information Service
Erie County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc.