For matters needing immediate attention, please call the Lancaster Police Department at 683-2800.
You can download a copy of the application here. Dog licenses are issued at the Town Clerk’s office, located at Lancaster Town Hall, 21 Central Avenue. Make sure to bring this with you when licensing your dog.
Hours of Operation:
The Town of Lancaster Dog Control Office is staffed by Town employees, who are hired to serve as Dog Control Officers, on-call. If you are unable to reach an officer at the Dog Control Office, please leave a message for matters that are not urgent. Matters needing immediate attention must be referred to the Lancaster Police Department at 683-2800.
Main Function of Department:
- To serve the residents of the Town of Lancaster and Villages of Depew and Lancaster who may have problems or questions related to dogs
- Ensuring the licensing of dogs
- Picking up dogs at large
- Ensuring proper care and feeding of dogs detained at the Town of Lancaster kennels
- Enforcement of Town and Village codes and New York State law pertaining to dog control
- Issuing appearance ticket for violations of Town and Village codes
- Enforcement of impoundment fees to be paid by the respective owner to the Town Clerk of the Town of Lancaster
- Maintaining an up-to-date census of dogs in the Town and Villages
- Sending notices for delinquent dog licenses
- Maintaining kennels to provide a clean and safe environment for detained dogs
YOU AND YOUR DOG
Everyone loves their dog, but there are Rules and Regulations that must be followed to ensure the safety of everyone in the Town of Lancaster.
First: If your dog is lost, the best way to get him back is to have his Dog Tag attached to his collar.
Second: If a dog is found by the Police or reported at large by anyone else, that dog will be picked up by a Dog Control Officer. Every dog must have a current Rabies Certificate and a valid Town Dog License.
Third: The Dog Control Officer must take the dog to the Town kennel until the paperwork is satisfied. Dog Control Officers follow procedures of New York State Agriculture Law. Anyone interfering in this procedure is subject to a Court Appearance to answer charges of obstructing this procedure.
Fourth: All dogs residing in the Town of Lancaster must be relicensed every year.
We care for our animals in the Town but more importantly, the protection of the residents of rabies transmission is of the upmost concern.
Thank you for your cooperation!
Town of Lancaster Dog Control